Friday, July 29, 2016

My First Learning Environment Model

This was a great learning experience for me. I am fairly new to all of this, and LEM is really helping me find strategies to improve my learning experience and ways that I can reach out to faculty and staff and educate them in accessibility. 

I created my model for a face-to-face learning experience. This way I would be able to interact immediately with questions and concerns.

I wanted to start out with a group discussion and ask the group "What is Accessibility?" I think there is a pre-conceived idea of what it is and that it's only important with certain disabilities. So I think having an open discussion before getting started with get people thinking.

Next I would hand out or have them open up PDF docs of Section 508 policy and How To Guides. The How To Guides will be used throughout the training session.

I would then have them look at a few documents, probably a Word and PowerPoint, and identify accessibility issues that they can see. After this, I would go through and give feedback and have a discussion on the practice.

Before the evidence section, I would have another discussion on the "Importance of Accessibility". This I think will really drive home what accessibility means not just for them but the people that actually rely on it to get a proper education.

I would end the session with having them create an accessible Word and PowerPoint document. I think it would be good to have feedback and maybe even a discussion after this, even though I don't have it reflected in my model at the moment.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie,

    I really liked your use of dialogue in this design. This is a great use of your classroom context, and really affords learners an opportunity to iterate their thinking and experience. A very clear and understandable model and purpose.

    ReplyDelete